Archive for December, 2004

Asus M2400N integrated modem functional (at least partially)

Sunday, December 19th, 2004

After my latest kernel upgrade to 2.6.9 via the usual TuxMobil.org debian packages, I noticed that Alsa now finds naming the integrated modem. The modem is a softmodem integrated with the sound-card.

Relevant output from “lspci -v“:

0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 1716
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7
        I/O ports at e200 [size=256]
        I/O ports at e300 [size=128]
        Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

The Alsa module for the modem is snd_intel8x0m.

From “cat /proc/asound/cards“:

0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                     Intel 82801DB-ICH4 at 0x1f800400, irq 7
1 [Modem          ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem
                     Intel 82801DB-ICH4 Modem at 0xe200, irq 7

Searching the net a bit established that a user-space daemon is needed, slmodemd, debian package sl-modem-daemon.

The default debian setup detected the Alsa driver automatically and linked /dev/modem to /dev/ttySL0.

I have this running:

/usr/sbin/slmodemd --alsa -c DENMARK hw:1

I write “at least partially” in the title, because I haven’t managed to get everything to work.

I can dial a number and the phone rings.

I can send a fax using efax. I haven’t tried receiving.

I can’t connect to the ISP I tried. If I dial the provider, there is no carrier and wvdial just retries repeatedly. A manual call to the number gets the modem just fine. For each dial attempt I get this in the system log:

codec_semaphore: semaphore is not ready [0x1][0x701300]
codec_write 1: semaphore is not ready for register 0x54

I have search high and low, but I have not been able to find a solution to this problem.

So, partial functionality at most.

Vmware and tmpfs

Wednesday, December 8th, 2004

With the installation of udev a tmpfs file system is mounted on top of /dev at boot. Device nodes are created automatically by udev as the devices appear, but in the case of vmware it doesn’t work.

Vmware needs some device nodes that are created when vmware is configured, so they aren’t there when /dev is taken over by udev.

The solution is to created them each time the vmware services are started at system boot.

It is done by editing the file /etc/init.d/vmware, adding these lines to the ‘start’ section:

for a in `seq 0 9`; do
    mknod /dev/vmnet$a c 119 $a > /dev/null 2>&1
done
mknod /dev/vmmon c 10 165 > /dev/null 2>&1

This will recreate the device nodes each time.

There’s probably some clever way to automate this with some udev rules, but I still haven’t figured out how.

Gnome 2.8

Wednesday, December 8th, 2004

So Gnome 2.8 finally made it to Debian Testing, more or less. In the end I got most of the packages from Unstable.

I have mostly noted two visible changes, though there are many more. The most visible is without doubt the automatic handling of removable media, though the combination of hal, udev, hotplug and gnome-volume-manager. Finally you can just plug in a camera or a cd and it Just Works(tm).

The other change is the way applications are associated with filetypes. It is definitely more intuitive than before, but it is bit difficult getting decent display names shown in the context menu for the chosen applications. It still requires some editing of .desktop files by hand.