My kernel upgrade rampage has hit my home server to day. It was still running the kernel installed by the debian netinstall cdroms I had used, so the amount of available modules were rather scarce.
Most of the motherboard is based on the Intel ICH5 chipset, not that different than the Intel ICH4 chipset on my Asus M2N laptop, so much of the same should hold.
The kernel from the install cdrom didn’t have the i810_audio module and other related modules, so I installed Debian kernel-image-2.4.26-1-686. Everything is in there.
The machine uses grub for bootloader, and the kernel install just updated /boot/grub/menu.lst. I had to add acpi=on to the kernel lines to get ACPI enabled, otherwise it is just used during boot and then disabled.
On bootup the system tried to load all sorts of modules for stuff there wasn’t there, and it switched the console display to a higher resolution automatically, removing the possibility to scroll backwards with Shift-PgUp. As a consequence I removed both the hotplug and discover1 packaged that had made the first installation so simple. I can understand the use of such packages on many systems, and during first installes, but I prefer have more controll, so they went.
The system boots on the default initrd image, so I have made no changes to /etc/mkinitrd/modules.
I have to load the following modules through /etc/modules to get everything up and running:
# IDE detection ide-cd ide-detect # Network card - Realtek RTL-8100B/8139D 8139too # Intel ICH5 audio i810_audio # Supported ACPI modules button thermal # USB controller and devices usb-uhci hid input keybdev usbkbd usb-storage printer
I listen to internet radio on the computer, so I need sound configured. The ICH5 chipset is supported by the i810_audio module:
Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 13:12:23 Jul 22 2004 PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64 i810: Intel ICH5 found at IO 0xd400 and 0xd800, MEM 0xfe77b800 and 0xfe77b400, IRQ 17 i810: Intel ICH5 mmio at 0xde918800 and 0xde91a400 i810_audio: Primary codec has ID 2 i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels. i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode. i810_audio: Resetting connection 0 i810_audio: Connection 0 with codec id 2 ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650) i810_audio: AC'97 codec 2, new EID value = 0x05c7 i810_audio: AC'97 codec 2, DAC map configured, total channels = 6
Not everything is perfect, though, as some wav files sound weird, but mplayer plays windows media streams just fine and that is what I need.
ACPI support in the Soltek Qbic is rather limited. The button module controls the power button on the front only, and the thermal which gives a little information on the CPU.
ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF] ACPI: Processor [CPU1] (supports C1) ACPI: Processor [CPU2] (supports C1)
It reports two CPUs! Not quite sure why, though. Something to investigate, I guess.
I don’t use this machine as a desktop computer, but playing a little around with a few modules, I get this:
# modprobe agpgart Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 409M agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G Chipset. agpgart: Detected 32636K stolen memory. agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xf0000000 # modprobe i830 [drm] AGP 0.99 Aperture @ 0xf0000000 128MB [drm] Initialized i830 1.3.2 20021108 on minor 0
I guess I’ll have to install X one day, just to try.